If you are one of the 56 million Americans who have experienced hair loss, you may be familiar with the frustration that this problem can cause. For many people, a thick, full head of hair is a symbol of health and youth, and both men and women may experience feelings of embarrassment and disappointment when hair thinning that may lead to bald spots occurs.
While fewer than one percent of those who experience hair loss will actually seek treatment, those who do may be less than satisfied with the results. Some of the remedies, including “old school” hair plugs or toupees, may be more noticeable or less attractive than the hair loss. Traditional topical remedies such as minoxidil may not be effective on some patients. And prescription drugs such as finasteride are not generally prescribed for women—and can cause serious side effects in men.
Trying to combat hair loss can seem like a losing battle. The good news is that your plastic surgeon has a new “weapon” in the war on baldness—NeoGraft®.
NeoGraft is a revolutionary, non-invasive new procedure in which individual follicles of hair can be transplanted from thicker areas of hair on your scalp and “grafted” onto targeted areas where thinning or balding has occurred. Instead of harvesting hair in a strip that can result in a large, unsightly scar (that will only draw additional attention to your scalp), your plastic surgeon can now utilize NeoGraft technology to precisely collect and place individual hair follicles in the treatment area.
The result is a rejuvenated, natural-looking head of hair, artistically and meticulously crafted by a skilled plastic surgeon. This is not your mother’s (or father’s) hair transplant. Gone are the surgical incisions, clumpy-looking plugs, and long linear scars. No one will know you have had a NeoGraft procedure unless you tell them. NeoGraft is the only FDA-cleared “follicular unit extraction” system. This is the most advanced, cutting-edge technique available in hair transplantation today. And because NeoGraft is non-invasive, downtime and discomfort is minimal to none.
Keep reading for some important facts about NeoGraft:
- Hair is removed from the thicker portions on the back or sides of your head. Because hair in this location is not susceptible to male/female pattern baldness, it will continue to grow even when transplanted into areas that have been affected.
- After hair has been harvested and implanted, it will stay in its new location for a few weeks before shedding—as is the typical cycle with any hair. You can expect new growth in 3-4 months, after which it will follow the normal hair growth cycle.
- To be a candidate, you must be in good general health and have sufficient hair left in the harvest area to make the procedure possible.
- Keep your goals realistic. You may never regain the full mane you had in high school—but you can have a fuller, more beautiful head of hair. When performed by a qualified plastic surgeon, NeoGraft will leave you with increased hair density that will make you look and feel more youthful. Best of all—it’s discreet. Your transplanted hair will blend seamlessly into the surrounding hair.
- Transplanted hair is permanent hair. However, this procedure is not a cure for pattern baldness. If treatments such as minoxidil work for you, you will probably want to continue using it in the balding areas to keep the hair you had prior to NeoGraft as well as your “new” hair. Your plastic surgeon will discuss your goals and make recommendations based on your state of hair loss, hair condition, age, etc.
- A successful NeoGraft procedure depends as much on the artistry of the surgeon wielding the instrument as it does the cutting-edge technology. Make sure you choose a qualified plastic surgeon who is skilled in this procedure.
Are you as excited about NeoGraft as we are? Please call our office at (702) 838-2455 to learn more about how NeoGraft can help restore your confidence in your appearance.