Liposuction technology has evolved to the point that the long-established fat-removing procedure known simply as “liposuction” is now known as “traditional liposuction.
(Take look at the menu to the right to learn more about other liposuction procedures such as VASER® liposuction, VASER High-Def ® liposuction, and Smart Lipo/laser liposuction
Liposuction is a surgical procedure where fat is removed from underneath the patient’s skin by using a suction device known as a cannula.
- Liposuction can be performed in various areas of the body. Here are some common issues that patients can correct with liposuction.*
- Wave goodbye to those “bat wing” arms*
- Lose the “love handles” and “muffin top”*
- Suck away the “saddlebags” on your hips/thighs*
Liposuction removes deposits of excess fat from the body that were resistant to reduction by diet and exercise.*
Traditional Liposuction: The Procedure
Liposuction is best for thin, average weight or slightly overweight patients who have found that fat remains in areas of their body no matter how much they diet or exercise. Patients who are moderately or extremely overweight may benefits from other techniques such as a tummy tuck.
You and Dr. Smith will discuss the outcome you desire and together the two of you will decide if traditional liposuction is right for you. (Please note that the most fat that can be safely removed from any one patient at any one time is no more than about eight pounds of fat.)*
Dr. Smith and his team generally place traditional liposuction patients under general anesthesia, in which an IV administers the anesthesia and places you in a “sleeping” state. An experienced anesthesiologist will monitor you at all times when general anesthesia is given in Dr. Smith’s accredited surgery facility.
Dr. Smith then creates a small incision about 1/4-inch in length (these incisions are small enough so that they are not usually noticeable when they heal). He then pumps a special IV fluid into the area to be suctioned, which allows him to suck out your fat cells with less trauma, less bruising and less discomfort for you after surgery. This procedure is called the tumescent technique and helps make liposuction safe.*
Once the fluid has been pumped into the area of fat extraction, Dr. Smith inserts the cannula through the incision and, because the cannula is attached to an aspiration device, he is able to use suction to remove the fat from between your skin and muscle, contouring the area.
Traditional Liposuction Surgery Recovery
You will be able to walk about – gently – just a few hours or so after the procedure.*
You also should know that traditional liposuction probably will cause some swelling and bruising and you will feel minor to moderate pain and discomfort for a few days or weeks.
Dr. Smith’s team will provide you with a compression garment that you will be instructed to wear for two to six weeks. For patients undergoing abdominal or hip/liposuction, it will look like a bicycle short and/or girdle. If you have your arms liposuctioned, it will look like long ladies’ opera gloves (without the hand/fingers part). You should wear it most of the time, removing it only for short periods or to wash it.
Risks Of Traditional Liposuction
Risks are always associated with any type of surgery. Liposuction procedures – of all types – are very safe and the vast majority of patients have no major adverse reactions, experiencing only the post-operative swelling/bruising and minor/moderate pain described above.
- Some of the risks associated with traditional liposuction include:
- Adverse reactions from the anesthesia.
- Scarred incisions, although the incisions are very small and any scars will be small and should fade over time. In addition, Dr. Smith will work to place his incisions in natural folds of your skin, helping to hide them.
- Bumpy/uneven results. These usually occur when your skin lacks enough elasticity to “shrink” tightly back onto your smaller frame. In addition, wearing the compression garment as directed helps keep the skin smooth.
- Loose skin can occur in patients who have a large amount of fat removed and/or don’t have much elasticity in the skin.
Dr. Smith has performed thousands of liposuction surgeries in his 14 years of practice. He and his surgical team will work diligently to ensure you stay safe during surgery and that your results are the best they can be.*
Scheduling An Appointment For Traditional Liposuction
Contact Smith Plastic Surgery at (702) 838-2455 to discuss your desire for traditional liposuction. Patients who live far from Las Vegas may arrange a consultation via phone or e-mail.