Lane F. Smith,
Undergraduate University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
Degree Bachelor of Science
- University of Utah Class of 1985 Benedictorian
- Summa Cum Laude (highest honors)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Phi Eta Sigma
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 1984-1988
Degree: Medical Doctor
- Alpha Omega Alpha (highest honor given to medical students)
- Elected to Promotions Committee
- Elected as Class Representative
- National Board Scores:
- Part I: 660 (95%)
- Part II: 725 (99%)
- Part III: 725 (99%)
Given letters of commendation from the departments of Surgery, Internal Medicine, and Psychiatry
Surgical Residency & Fellowships
- Internship: General Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston Texas, 1988-1989
- Residency: Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston Texas 1989-1993
- Fellowship: Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Stanford University, Palo Alto California, 1993-1994
- Residency: Plastic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester Minnesota, 1999-2001
Honors & Awards
- Highest score in the United States, Federal Licensure Exam Part I, 1989
- National Board of Medical Examiners 99th percentile 1989
- Second Place National Student Research Forum, Intern/Resident Division 1991
- Annual Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery In-service. Examination Scores 99% all four years.
- First Place University of Texas Medical Branch Resident Research Award 1991
- Second Place Texas Otolaryngology Section 1992 for paper on functional endoscopic sinus surgery.
- First place Southern Medical Association Otolaryngology Section 1992 for paper on intetelligibility of tracheoesophageal speech.
- 1994 Recipient of Jack Anderson Award for Scholastic Excellence given by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. (Given to the most outstanding fellow in Facial Plastic Surgery training in the United States)
- Annual Plastic Surgery In-service Exam 99th percentile both years
- Plastic Surgery Senior Residents Conference: Best Aesthetic Paper Award, 2001
- Best overall Scientific Paper and Presentation: Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery on the Multiply Operated Nose, Combined California-Rocky Mountain Plastic Surgery Society Meeting June 2008
- 2008 Best Scholarly Manuscript
Elected and Appointed Positions
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Alternate to the Board of Governors 1992-1993
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Committee on Residents and Fellows 1991-1994
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Legislative Alternate 1991-1994
- President Elect Texas Medical Association-Resident Physician Section 1991-1992
- President Texas Medical Association-Resident Physician Section 1992-1993
- Vice President University of Texas Medical Branch House Staff 1992-1993
- Texas Council of Medical Education 1991-1993
- University of Texas Medical Branch General Medical Education Council 1992-1993
- University of Texas Medical Branch Policy and Procedures Committee 1992-1993
- Elected to the Board of Examiners for the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery 2006-current
- Elected secretary of the Rocky Mountain Plastic Surgery Society (Nevada, Utah, Arizona,Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and New Mexico) 2007-2008
- Elected President-Elect of the Rocky Mountain Plastic Surgery Society (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and New Mexico) 2008-2009
- American Board of Plastic Surgery 2003-Current
- American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 1994-Current
- American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 1995 -Current
- American Board of Cosmetic Surgery 2004 Current
- Diplomat Federal Licensure Examination 1989 Diplomat, National Board of Medical Examiners 1990
- Texas Medical License 1993-Inactive
- California Medical License 1993-Present
- Utah Medical License 1994-Present
- Minnesota Medical License 1999-Present
- Nevada Medical License 2001-Present
- Pediatric Cochlear Implantation in Ossified Cochleas. National Student Research forum: January 1991
- Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery in 200 Patients. Poster presentation, AAO-HNS Annual Meeting: September 1992
- Pediatric Cochlear Implantation in Ossified Cochleas. Poster presentation, AAO-HNS Annual Meeting: September 1992
- Thyroglossal Duct Cyst Carcinoma. Poster presentation, AAO-HNS Annual Meeting, Otolaryngology Section: September 1992
- Intelligibilty of Trachiosophageal Speech. Baylor Phonosurgery Course: October 1992
- Intelligibility, Subjective and Acoustical Analysis of Traciosophageal Speech.
- Southern Medical Association Annual Meeting, Otolaryngology Section: November 1992
- Pseudoepitheliomatous Hyperplasia Mistaken for Cancer after Mohs surgery.
- Sixth international Symposium of Facial Plastic Surgery: June 1993
- Early experience with a New Procedure for Improvement of the Ptotic Melolabial Fold. Sixth International Symposium of Facial Plastic Surgery: June 1993
- Pediatric Salivary Gland Disease. 20th Annual What’s New In Otolaryngology; Pediatric Update:June 21st, 1993
- Course Director, Endoscopic Forehead and Facelift Symposium. Stanford University: December 1993
- The Transphenodial approach for removal of petrous apex cholesteatomas. Poster Presentation
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, San Diego 1994
- The Deep Plane Facelift. 21st Annual Stanford Alumni Course: Stanford University: June 1994
- A Comparison between the Deep Plane Facelift and Traditional SMAS Dissection Meloplasty.
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Annual Meeting: September 1994
- Indications, Complications and Technique of Subperiostial Facelifting, Annual Cosmetic Surgery Symposium, Newport Beach, California: August 2002
- Indications and Complications of Turbinate Surgery in 250 consecutive Patients.
- Plastic Surgery Senior Residents Conference: April 2001
- Evolution, Theory and Technique of Facelift Surgery; Achieving Natural Results Winter Facial Plastic Surgery Symposium, Squaw Valley, Nevada 2005
- Combining Facial and Body Surgery: Tips Pearls and Safety guidelines, Winter Facial Plastic Surgery Symposium, Squaw Valley, Nevada 2005
- Evolution and Technique for Midfacelifting, Galveston Texas, June 2005
- Bariatric Surgery; Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, Scottsdale Arizona, January 2007
- Post Bariatric Surgery: Pearls and Pitfalls, Annual Rocky Mountain plastic Surgery Society Meeting, February 2007
- Lip Augmentation, Pearls and Pitfalls: 21st Century Annual Cosmetic Surgery Symposium, Newport Beach Califonia, August 2007
- Revision Rhinoplasty on the Difficult Nose: 21st Annual Cosmetic Surgery Symposium, Newport Beach California, August 2007
- Rhinoplasty on the multiply operated Nose: Combined California-Rocky Mountain Plastic Surgery
- Society Annual Meeting. Dana Point California, June 2008.
- Intraoperative phototherapy and surgical resection in a mouse neuroblastoma: Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 1990; 10 (3) 275-279.
- Indications, evaluation, complications and results of functional endoscopic sinus surgery in 200 patients. Otolaryngology –Head and Neck Surgery, 1993; 108-688-696.
- Pediatric Salivary Gland Disease. Audio Digest Tapes, Otolaryngology –Head and Neck Surgery, 1993; 26 (19)
- Adjunctive Procedures to Rhinoplasty; Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America, 1994;2(4):537-552.
- Nasal Septoplasty and Submucous Resection, in Bailey BJ (ed): Atlas of Head and Neck Surgery-Otolaryngology, Vol. 1 Philadelphia, Lippincott, 1996.
- Nasal Valve Surgery, in Bailey BJ(ed): Atlas of Head and Neck Surgery –Otolaryngology, Vol. 1. Philadelphia, Lippincott, 1996