Breast Augmentation & Breast Implants | Las Vegas
Breast Augmentation, also called Augmentation Mammaplasty, or Breast Implant Surgery is the surgical procedure to enlarge a woman’s breast using breast implants. This is the most common plastic surgery procedure performed By Dr. Lane Smith and is generally associated with one of highest satisfaction rates of all cosmetic surgery procedures. Dr. Smith is considered one of the best surgeons in the Western United States for breast augmentation (breast Implantation.) Dr. Smith also performs among the most breast augmentations in the Western United States and is very experienced with this surgery.
Benefits of breast augmentation
Throughout history a woman’s breasts have been an important symbol of femininity and beauty. It is one of the key features that distinguishes male from female, and as such it is given significant importance. Because of the importance placed on breasts, a woman who does not develop breasts or who develops very small breasts often feels inferior or disadvantaged. Often self-esteem suffers. Sometimes a woman develops one large breast and another small one. This can be a great source of psychological trauma to the woman and a woman may even feel “deformed” or “abnormal.” It is nice to know that for those who desire to have larger or more symmetrical breasts there is a way to accomplish this. After breast implant surgery patients typically feel more feminine and more attractive. Clothes fit better and frequently self-esteem increases. Often patients feel it is the very best investment they ever made.
Personal goals of breast augmentation
The personal goals of breast augmentation vary greatly from patient to patient. Some patients want very large, round, breasts. Some have even come in specifically asked Dr. Smith to make their breasts look “fake” (extra round, extra firm, extra high.) Others want only to fill out the breast tissue that they lost from nursing. Still others want larger, but very natural looking breasts. Some want excessive cleavage and others less cleavage. The most common look we are asked to make is what we like to call “enhanced natural.” This means that the breasts are a little more full in the upper aspect and have a little more cleavage then is natural, but do not look obviously fake or “operated on.” It important to communicate your goals to Dr. Smith so that he can tailor the surgery to fit your desires. It is not always possible to give the exact look the patient desires, but if we know what your goals are and what kind of “look” you like, Dr. Smith can tailor the outcome of your breast augmentation to move in that direction.
Choices that need to be made regarding breast augmentation
There are many choices that need to be made regarding breast augmentation. Dr. Smith will help you with these choices, but the ultimate decision rests with the patient. Some surgeons do not offer many choices and may pick the size, or shape of the breast implant. Other surgeons always use the same incision site. We feel that the more choices a patient has, the more control over the process she is given and the happier she will be. The following paragraphs list the choices we give each patient.
- The final position of the breast implant can be high, medium or slightly low: When the breast implant is slightly high, there is more of the breast implant above the nipple than below the nipple. This is considered slightly more fake, but also more “sexy.” This is a very popular position for breast augmentation in Las Vegas. The advantage of this position is that all breasts slowly drop as women age, and this can look better longer. When breast implants are in the medium position, there is the same amount of the breast implant above the nipple as below. The nipple is close to the center. This is the most popular position for breast augmentation in Las Vegas and Nevada, and is slightly more natural looking than when the breast implant is in the high position. The breast implants in the low position are the most natural looking. This means about 60% of the breast is below the breast implant and 40% above. This is the most natural looking position and is becoming more popular for breast augmentation in Las Vegas, California and Utah.
- Breast Implant Size: At the Smith Plastic Surgery Institute, we allow the patient to choose her breast implant size. The patient is given several sizes of breast implants to try on and see how they look. Dr. Smith will help guide the patient to an implant size that might best fit her body type and shape, but ultimately we allow the patient to choose the breast implant size she wants. In Las Vegas, the most common breast implant size chosen is about 400 cc’s. This is larger than most other areas of the country. It is important to know that frequently patients choose a breast implant size that is too small. Later, once they are used to the breast implants, they often wish they had chosen a bigger size. It is much more common for a patient to feel she has chosen a breast implant size that is too small then that they have chosen a breast implant size that is too large. We encourage to you think carefully about the choice of your breast implant size and even to bring a “significant other,” to help you with your choice.Site of Incision used for breast augmentation. There are three different incision sites that can be used for breast augmentation. The incisions can be made in the armpit (axillary incision), just inside the colored part of the areola (periareolar incision), and in the crease under the breast (inframammary incision). Each of these incisions has its advantages and disadvantages. No matter which incision site you choose for your breast augmentation, Dr. Smith will try to make the scars as small as possible. As the scar fades they will become very difficult to see and almost invisible for most patients but not every patient.
- The Shape of the Implant: Although breast implants come in many shapes and sizes, basically there are two main types of breast implant shapes. One is more round, often called a “round” breast implant. The other is more teardrop shape and called an “anatomical or form-shaped” implant. The most common implant placed in the United States is a round implant and the most common in Europe is the teardrop shaped implant. There is a great deal of debate among surgeons as to which type of implant is best for breast augmentation. The round implant tends to give more fullness to the upper portion of the breast and a little more cleavage. Many, if not most, patients find this desirable and choose this implant. The “anatomical” breast implant gives a more teardrop shape to the breasts and may be a little more natural look, especially in a woman who is very flat-chested, but the implant is usually more firm and can sometimes feel fake. Also there tends to be less fullness in the upper portion of the breast that many women do not like. In Dr. Lane Smiths’ practice you may choose either implant. When women want to have an breast implant changed to a different-shaped breast implant, most commonly women with teardrop-shaped implants ask to be changed to round implants.
- Location of the implant: “Under the muscle or on top of the muscle” is concept is a little complex to understand and we are giving a simplified description here. Basically the breast implants can be placed in one of two positions on the chest wall. Breast implants can be placed underneath the breast alone. This is called “subglandular or submammary placement.” In the subglandular position, the implant sits on top of the pectoralis muscle and directly underneath the breast tissue. The other position for breast implant placement is in the “submuscular position.” In this situation the breast implant is placed underneath the pectoralis major muscle and breast tissue. In the submuscular position the breast implant sits directly on the chest wall underneath the muscle and breast tissue. There are advantages and disadvantages to each position for the implant. If possible Dr. Smith prefers to place the breast implant under the breast and muscle. (submuscular placement.) This is the position Dr. Smith uses for more than 90% of his breast augmentations. This placement allows for more of your body tissue to cover the implant. With greater natural tissue coverage of the implant, the implant feels more natural and there is less chance or implant rippling or capsule formation. It is important to know that even in the submuscular position, the pectoralis muscle may not cover the inferior portion of the implant.Sometimes placing the implant directly under the breast or subglandular position is better for patients. This position or placement of the implant is sometimes better for patients who have droopy or sagging breasts. It is also sometimes better for patients who have extremely narrow or tube shaped breasts called tuberous breast deformity. There are other reasons for placement in one or the other position and there are variations to the two standard positions. There is even a position that is half under the muscle and half over the muscle called the “dual plane” position. In general, Dr. Smith will help guide you with this decision.
- Silicone or Saline Implants: In Dr. Lane Smiths’ practice, you may choose to have either silicone or saline breast implants. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of breast implants. The silicone breast implants are filled with a silicone gel polymer. This is a thick substance with the consistency of a very thick jello or thin gummy bear. The “gummy bear” silicone breast implants cannot really leak, but they can crack eventually. The silicone implants last longer than the saline implants, and currently have a lifetime warranty. The saline breast implants are filled with I.V. fluid (saline), which is mostly water with a little bit of sodium in it to match your body fluid. These have a 10 year warranty, but an extended warranty can be purchased through the implant company.Many people think that breast implants have to be replaced every 10 years but this is not true. Breast implants only have to be replaced when they rupture or crack. Both implants are expected to last much longer than 10 years. When the saline breast implant ruptures, it will not harm the patient, the body will simply absorb the water, but the breast will get smaller. When the silicone breast implant cracks, it should not be harmful either, but replacement is recommended.The silicone breast implants have a softer more natural feel than the saline breast implants. They are also less prone to rippling (a slightly wavy appearance to the breast that can occur with the saline implants when leaning over). For most patients, the “gummy bear” silicone breast implants are a better breast implant and are the breast implants most commonly recommended by Dr. Lane Smith for breast augmentation.
Breast implants cannot correct every breast problem
It is important to know that breast augmentation surgery cannot correct every breast problem. Sometimes when breasts are very droopy (ptotic breasts) a breast lift (mastopexy), may be needed with or without breast implants (mastopexy augmentation). When there are large differences in nipple position additional surgeries or techniques may be necessary to make the breasts more similar. Fortunately, Dr. Lane Smith is highly skilled in all forms of breast surgery.
Scheduling a consultation at the Smith Plastic Surgery Institute
The best way to learn about breast augmentation and what choices are best for you is to schedule an appointment with the expert at breast augmentation, Dr. Smith. Patients come from all over the world to see Dr. Smith for breast augmentation. At the Smith Plastic Surgery Institute, you will find a very helpful, friendly and caring staff that are there to serve you. Appointments can be made by calling 702-838-2455, or by emailing us at email@example.com. For patients who live a long distance from Las Vegas, online consultations are available.